Eastern Screech Owls in Salem, NY

Scott Varney

As a reminder to myself, I thought it is important enough to note that this night, with cooler temperatures,  I am hearing the constant calling of an Eastern Screech Owl on my property in Salem, NY. This is the first night of these consistent calls (trilling) that I have heard of this species since the previous Spring season. I love all of the Owl species, but Eastern Screech Owl calls keep me grounded and are reminiscent of the calls of the wilderness. Thank goodness for that!

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem, NY

Julie Hart

We’ve also had a resurgence of calling from our resident Great Horned Owl the past week, usually in early evening, but also heard just before dawn this morning. Please continue to note calling owls as singing for the Atlas!

Julie, Atlas Coordinator