Topics

black-billed cuckoo

Cynthia Edwardson

Good morning,
Yesterday Chris and I stumbled upon a black-billed cuckoo late morning at Grafton Lakes State Park.  We heard a cuckoo like sound and were able to watch the bird foraging in vegetation near the shore of Long Pond, east side, near the beach.  Although I've never seen a juvenile cuckoo, this one struck me as a young bird by its behavior.  Chris managed to get a few photos (two are attached) and it does appear to be a juvenile bird based on characteristics described in the National Geographic bird guide.  I welcome differing opinions.

We were also surprised by the number of red-breasted nuthatches we saw and heard on our hike, at least 12.

Looking forward to cooler temperatures and Fall migration.

Cindy and Chris Edwardson

zach schwartz-weinstein

Any photos of the underside of the tail?

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 9:28 AM Cynthia Edwardson <Cjredwardson@...> wrote:
Good morning,
Yesterday Chris and I stumbled upon a black-billed cuckoo late morning at Grafton Lakes State Park.  We heard a cuckoo like sound and were able to watch the bird foraging in vegetation near the shore of Long Pond, east side, near the beach.  Although I've never seen a juvenile cuckoo, this one struck me as a young bird by its behavior.  Chris managed to get a few photos (two are attached) and it does appear to be a juvenile bird based on characteristics described in the National Geographic bird guide.  I welcome differing opinions.

We were also surprised by the number of red-breasted nuthatches we saw and heard on our hike, at least 12.

Looking forward to cooler temperatures and Fall migration.

Cindy and Chris Edwardson

Cynthia Edwardson

Good morning,
Just a quick confirmation that I was back in touch with Zach about the identification of this cuckoo sighting.  I sent him one more photo and have attached all three to our ebird list for Sunday's visit to Grafton State Park..  Zach is leaning toward the id of black-billed but see's characteristics of a very young yellow-billed cuckoo too so it's now up to the NYBBA data analysts to decide if they agree to count the record for FL black-billed for the atlas.

Thanks to those who sent me follow up ideas.  I love this forum.

Cindy Edwardson