Robin on suet feeder

ConserveBirds

This morning I observed for the first time in my memory an American Robin perched on and feeding from a suet feeder.  Has anyone else ever seen this?

Mona Bearor

South Glens Falls

James Elbrecht

Not a Robin- but I have a male Goldfinch that likes suet.   And a pair of Goldfinches that seem to prefer sunflower seed to niger seed.

I had the upside-down niger feeder for a while, and a Chickadee figured it out and used it.   Then, a couple years later, all the finches started ignoring it.  No amount of cleaning/replacing could entice the current crop of birds.  So I went back the the right-side-up tube feeder.

Sometimes the birds don't read the manuals.

Jim

Niskayuna

On 4/22/2020 6:22 AM, ConserveBirds wrote:

This morning I observed for the first time in my memory an American Robin perched on and feeding from a suet feeder.  Has anyone else ever seen this?

Mona Bearor

South Glens Falls

Michael

Hi
I’ve never seen this.
I had a Pine Warbler eating seeds from a feeder a few days ago. I don’t think that is too unusual but I’ve never seen it.
Mike Moccio
Indian Lake

ConserveBirds

Thank you to all who replied. Since many replied to me privately that they had never seen a robin feeding this way I took a couple photos when the bird returned this evening. They are attached.

Mona Bearor
South Glens Falls