Topics

Help with photo ID please

ConserveBirds

A friend sent this to me for an ID and I am stumped. At first I thought maybe a Vesper Sparrow because of the light patch on the shoulder, but at closer inspection it looks like that is rally on the bird’s back and that the pattern continues across the back.  Another birder friend suggested Grasshopper Sparrow.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Mona Bearor

So. Glens Falls

zach schwartz-weinstein

Female House Sparrow, with that very large pink bill.

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 9:18 AM ConserveBirds <conservebirds@...> wrote:

A friend sent this to me for an ID and I am stumped. At first I thought maybe a Vesper Sparrow because of the light patch on the shoulder, but at closer inspection it looks like that is rally on the bird’s back and that the pattern continues across the back.  Another birder friend suggested Grasshopper Sparrow.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Mona Bearor

So. Glens Falls

gregg_recer

female or juv HOSP was my thought too; might be missing a couple of tail feathers giving it a short spiky-tailed look
--
gregg recer
malta NY

ConserveBirds

Well, how embarrassing is that! I was going in the direction of grassland birds because of the photo background.

Thanks!

Mona Bearor

South Glens Falls

female or juv HOSP was my thought too; might be missing a couple of tail feathers giving it a short spiky-tailed look
--
gregg recer
malta NY

kernscot

Female House Sparrow. To me it looks pretty rough, the eye may have infection?

Nancy Kern

A friend sent this to me for an ID and I am stumped. At first I thought maybe a Vesper Sparrow because of the light patch on the shoulder, but at closer inspection it looks like that is rally on the bird’s back and that the pattern continues across the back.  Another birder friend suggested Grasshopper Sparrow.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Mona Bearor

So. Glens Falls

Richard Guthrie

Probably taken in August or so while the bird was molting - hence the odd color pattern and ratty pointy looking tail.