Topics

Northumberland field birds

gregg_recer

thanks to John h for posting earlier. still a big flock of snow buntings near wall and king intersection. I estimated about 400. also many horned larks. no obvious longspurs, but most viewing pretty distant. will need to scrunrize photos. other smatterings of larks and buntings on many local roads here. also 3 adult bald eagles.

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

gregg_recer

I was perhaps a little too terse in my post, as I was emailing from the car on my phone. The area in Saratoga County roughly centered on the segment of SR 32 that runs between Bacon Hill and Gansevoort has a lot of good open-field habitat and dairy farms with manure spreads to attract wintering field birds. This is the approximate location where the big flock has been seen recently:
https://goo.gl/maps/UPe7mUerUcaEVRL49

Obviously, with the new snow coming, the situation will be fluid and will depend on where the next nice manure spread appears on the new snow.

--
gregg recer
malta NY