5 Lapland Longspurs: eBird Report - Rugg Rd and State rte 32m Northumberland, NY, Jan 19, 2022

Ronald Harrower

´╗┐Rugg Rd and State rte 32m Northumberland, NY, Saratoga, New York, US
Jan 19, 2022 12:45 PM - 1:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: After JOHN H had reported this spot as the only place in the area with active field birds and seeing for myself with him on the previous Sunday, I stopped by and waited for field birds to join the American Crows in the big field. I was about to give up, when first about 30 birds showed up and then more and more until there was a total of about 120 birds about 50 feet out. They were moving about quite a bit, so it was hard to pinpoint individuals. I did take a lot of photos, which is my wont. In reviewing them later, I found as many as 5 Lapland Longspurs in one photo. I suspect that there were more, but can't prove it. It was fun to see individual Horned Larks and Snow Buntings eating whole kernels of corn.
6 species

Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 45 around barn nearby
American Crow 75
Horned Lark 50
European Starling 150 around barns nearby
Lapland Longspur 5
Snow Bunting 65

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S101191837