Northern Goshawk?

Louis J. Suarato

While visiting the Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy’s Restifo Preserve in Westerlo recently, I observed a greyish-white hawk circling the pond across the road from the Preserve. The medium, to large hawk, periodically dove down into the high grass surrounding the pond while circling. It dove into the grass at the far end of the pond and remained there for 15 minutes before circling again, flying at eye level, coming very close to the car I was in. I could tell by the wings it was an accipiter. Does this behavior sound like that of a northern goshawk?

Louis J. Suarato

zach schwartz-weinstein

Hi Louis, this behavior and description sounds much more like a male Northern Harrier to me.

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:53 AM Louis Suarato lsuarato@... [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply@...> wrote:

While visiting the Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy’s Restifo Preserve in Westerlo recently, I observed a greyish-white hawk circling the pond across the road from the Preserve. The medium, to large hawk, periodically dove down into the high grass surrounding the pond while circling. It dove into the grass at the far end of the pond and remained there for 15 minutes before circling again, flying at eye level, coming very close to the car I was in. I could tell by the wings it was an accipiter. Does this behavior sound like that of a northern goshawk?

Louis J. Suarato

Richard Guthrie

Agree - Northern Harrier - coursing over grassy fields or marshes.

For a goshawk, other than migrating over a hawk watch such as Camp Pinnacle or Derby Hill, one would be lucky if you get anything more than a fleeting glimpse as it zooms away from you through the forest canopy.

Rich Guthrie