Topics

Cohoes shorebirds

John Kent

This morning at Cohoes Flats there were more shorebirds than I ever recall seeing there. Counts of Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated Plovers, and Least Sandpipers were in the double digits. Also present were Semipalmated Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, Killdeer, and Solitary Sandpiper. They were all viewable right from the shore at the base of the path from the Clark Avenue parking area.

John Kent
Selkirk

zach schwartz-weinstein

Naomi, John H., Lindsey and I all just saw a young black tern fly back and forth over the Mohawk at Cohoes Flats.  It flew over the dam a few minutes ago but may still be in the area.  It was not a very dark bird, but had the telltale facial and shoulder pattern.

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 8:50 AM John Kent k2ent76@... [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply@...> wrote:

This morning at Cohoes Flats there were more shorebirds than I ever recall seeing there. Counts of Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated Plovers, and Least Sandpipers were in the double digits. Also present were Semipalmated Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, Killdeer, and Solitary Sandpiper. They were all viewable right from the shore at the base of the path from the Clark Avenue parking area.

John Kent
Selkirk

jhershey2

I posted 4 pics of shorebirds at Cohoes Flats this morning.  There is a poor, overexposed pic of the Black Tern described by Zack which does show the dark shoulder spot just in front of the wings.  Also, I included a Least Sandpiper showing the bright, rufous feathers of a fresh young bird.  Also, a pic of the one Pectoral Sandpiper and a Semipalmated Plover.  They can be seen at the Hmbirds website or hopefully with this link.

John H.