Topics

Crossings - ?young heron?

James Elbrecht

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1523mXupzHE9nUaVPgVmeNhiKzRX082crrw
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sCqdxDiVifwVP1aGImY1AYL-YyY3XvOywQ

These aren't the best photos - but he had a bright yellow beak and
orange eyes. We watched him fish for an hour or so Sunday
afternoon, right down by the pavilion.

Is there enough there to say what kind of heron-- or ??.

There was also a pair of cormorants thinning the goldfish 'herd' at
the other end of the lake.

Thanks,
Jim

zach schwartz-weinstein

Hi,

That's a juvenile Black-Crowned Night Heron, distinguishable from Yellow-Crowned by the size of the spots and extent of yellow on the bill.  A good find for Albany County.  Presumably this is the same bird Curt Morgan reported earlier.

Best

ZSW

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:27 PM Jim Elbrecht elbrecht@... [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply@...> wrote:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1523mXupzHE9nUaVPgVmeNhiKzRX082crrw
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sCqdxDiVifwVP1aGImY1AYL-YyY3XvOywQ

These aren't the best photos - but he had a bright yellow beak and
orange eyes. We watched him fish for an hour or so Sunday
afternoon, right down by the pavilion.

Is there enough there to say what kind of heron-- or ??.

There was also a pair of cormorants thinning the goldfish 'herd' at
the other end of the lake.

Thanks,
Jim

James Elbrecht

Thank you! Funny, I'd been trying to identify him for an hour or
two and was wondering why nobody had mentioned him here-

Thanks-
Jim