Re: What birds to look for in Orlando Florida

Brabetz, Barbara L

Hi,

I have spent many weeks birding in the Orlando area at this time of
year. Vultures (both black and turkey) are easy to find. If you're
looking for suggested birding hotspots, I would very much recommend the
Orlando Wetlands Park, a man-made wastewater treatment wetland just east
of Orlando off of Route 50, near the town of Christmas. Along with
dozens of wading bird species, it is also one of the few places where
you can see purple martins nesting in natural cavities.

I promise that you won't be disappointed, especially if you go there at
dusk when birds are coming in to roost for the night.

If you're up for some traveling, try going to Avon Park Bombing Range
southeast of Orlando. It is run by the Air Force, but birders can call
ahead or check at the gate for a special day permit to travel the
dormant parts of the huge park. It was one of the few places I was able
to see the Florida Scrub Jay with little effort.

Enjoy!

Barbara Brabetz
Town of Florida, NY