Woodlawn Preserve field trip, 9/25/22

Naomi Lloyd

In the smallest field trip in my experience, two birders explored the dunes of Schenectady's Woodlawn Preserve. Habitat restoration continues, meaning the trails change radically from year to year as the overgrown woods are cleared. The stands of young aspen and birch that can be productive at times were quiet this year, however. We saw only three warbler species - Palm, Yellow-rumped, and Common Yellowthroat. Sparrows were more numerous with at least five species including well-seen one Savannah. Not many other passerines were found, and one flycatcher gave tantalizing but unconvincing looks - I couldn't quite make it into an Olive-sided. An Osprey circled repeatedly over the pond, diving for fish.

We topped out at 35 species, on the low side of average for this trip.

eBird checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S119428808

Non-avian sightings: Fringed Gentians doing well in their usual field (blossoms past their prime) and soccer ball-sized Puffball mushrooms (ditto)

Good birding!
Naomi Lloyd