Re: Hollyhock Hollow Sanctuary, Selkirk

Ron

I very much enjoyed this message! Having worked out of Hollyhock Hollow for nearly 30 years and then “helping” the transition of stewardship of the sanctuary to the Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy was both bittersweet and awesome at the same time.

Ron Dodson

On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 4:28 PM Cynthia Edwardson <Cjredwardson@...> wrote:
A shout out to the wonderful Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy and one of our favorite places to walk and enjoy nature, Hollyhock Hollow Sanctuary! Today we meandered near the river and around some of the trails. Within minutes of arriving, we saw a Scarlet Tanager, Indigo Bunting, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and a flock of Cedar Waxwings among other birds. As we entered the woods, Chris quickly spotted a Barred Owl that cooperated for photos when it moved closer to us. We saw a second owl close by and guessed that they might be a nesting pair. A number of nearby birds seemed agitated by the owls including a vocalizing Yellow-billed Cuckoo that we were able to locate.
This is really a special place and we appreciate how well maintained the trails are there.

Cindy and Chris Edwardson
Albany