HMBC Field Trip summary- Collins Lake 4/17

trwdsd

The weather could not have been less like mid-April as eight hardy souls leaned into the cold, gusty west winds and snow flurries, and tried to find hunkered down birds at Collins Lake in Scotia on Sunday. We shortened the duration of the outing to just a bit over an hour, with the lake harboring very little activity, and concentrated more on the edge and creek habitat across the road from Quinlan Park. There was a Great Egret tucked in the cattails on the west shore of the lake. I'm not sure it moved a single step while we were there. A Pied-billed Grebe made an appearance as we were heading back to our vehicles. One or two Great Blue Herons were around Collins Creek, with Wood Ducks and Mallards. We did observe two Palm Warblers, and a few Ruby-crowned Kinglets. Many thanks to the folks that braved the harsh conditions. We hope to see you on future trips!

Tom Williams
Colonie