Re: HMBC Field Trip reminder- Counting Common Nighthawks 8/24-8/26

trwdsd

On Tuesday evening, our group of approximately 15 observers counted 15 Common Nighthawks, all from 7:00pm- 8:00pm. A few made very close approaches at low altitude, offering very good looks. This evening, we tallied seven nighthawks, with the last two at 8:06pm. Those birds flew across the parking lot at virtually ground level, apparently looking for insects under the lights. We had some novice birders show up too, which was very refreshing and allowed us to point out resident birds to them during the lull between nighthawks. Tomorrow evening is the final night, keep an eye on the weather before heading over.

Tom Williams
Colonie