From: Cynthia Edwardson <Cjredwardson@...>
Date: 6/5/21 4:36 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: HMBirds <hmbirds@groups.io>
Subject: [hmbirds] Fun bird outings

Hi Fellow Birders,
Chris and I wanted to encourage you to check out a new park in Bethlehem called the Normans Kill Ravines Park if you enjoy a hiking challenge while birding. It's already a Hot Spot on eBird. On Weds it was slippery, steep and a challenging 4 mile hike but it's a super cool area for birds. I'm sure in May we would have found more migrants but we heard or saw 37 species including a Barred Owl -see attached photo. There is a map of the trails on the Town of Bethlehem website if you are interested. It is a multi-use trail but we didn't run into any bicycles. Hiking poles helped me stay upright!

Today we walked at Hollyhock Hollow Sanctuary, a MHLC Preserve in Selkirk. This is another wonderful spot and easy to hike while looking for birds. Even with a late morning start, we had 36 species there including a briefly singing Louisiana Waterthrush and great looks at a Yellow-billed Cuckoo foraging along the Onesquethaw Creek (I can't pronounce this yet).

Finally, is anybody planning to hike in the Catskills or other places to look for the Bicknell's Thrush?  Or have you already? We're interested in trying to locate what would be a life bird for us. We tried Plateau Mountain last June but were not successful.

Stay cool.
Cindy Edwardson