Sunday Century Run

jhershey2

Because of a schedule conflict, Ron Harrower and I decided to do an “unofficial” Century Run on Sunday, 5/16, rather than Saturday.  It was basically an all Saratoga County Run starting at Malta Tech Park (Global Foundries) at 4:40 am and ending at Vischer Ferry Preserve at 7:30 pm.  As planned Ron left at 2:30 from Saratoga Battlefield and I continued solo from there.  The Tech Park was a great place to start where within what seemed like a few minutes in the dark we had heard not only Whip-poor-wills and Woodcocks sounding off, but at least 12 other species. Some of the highlights are as follows with the bird name mentioned usually at the first place observed:

Malta Tech Park: Eastern Whip-poor-will, American Woodcock, Brown Creeper, Wood Thrush, Pine Warbler

Saratoga Airport: Wild Turkey

Daketown State Forest:  Red-breasted Nuthatch, Cape May Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Prairie Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Indigo Bunting, Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore Oriole.

Fox Hill Road: Ruffed Grouse, Broad-winged Hawk, Winter Wren, Least Flycatcher, Blue-headed Vireo, Yellow-throated Vireo, Louisiana Waterthrush, Black-and-White Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Dark-eyed Junco.

Wright’s Loop: Bald Eagle, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Saratoga Lake: Bonaparte’s Gull

Saratoga National Historical Park: Bobolink, Eastern Meadowlark

Cohoes Flats: Solitary Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper

Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve: Least Bittern, Marsh Wren, Wood Duck, Swamp Sparrow

Our total count was only 88 species partly because we spent a lot of time taking photos and looking at wildflowers (Pink Lady’s Slippers, Trout Lillies, Trilliums, etc.), butterflies, a fox, an unidentified snake, etc.  We also were frustrated by a lack of sparrows at Saratoga Airport, lack of waterfowl at Saratoga Lake, and a lack of shorebirds at Wright’s Loop (very dry).  I posted a few bird and other pics below to help make up for our shorter list of birds.

John Hershey