Virginia Rails and Warblers, Salem

Scott Varney

During my 20 mile bike ride today, I was completely alarmed by a single but exceptionally loud-grunting Virginia Rail in a marshy cattail section opposite White Creek on Route 153 in Salem.  It was so sudden and loud that it scared me enough to almost dump my bike!  Funny!

At home this morning, a small wave of Warblers pushed through the canopy in my front yard in the same manner as last year, from North to South. Each time the wind picked up, there was more movement. Included were 4 warbler species:

Magnolia Warbler
Black & White Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler