Re: this morning at 5 Rivers - flock of DC Cormorants etc.

scottjstoner

Let me further add that 92 species have been collectively reported at Five Rivers over the last few days, including 20 new for the year (16 new for the year on April 28 alone)! - Scott Stoner

-----Original Message-----
From: zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw@...>
To: Scottjstoner <ScottJStoner@...>
Cc: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Apr 30, 2021 5:07 pm
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] this morning at 5 Rivers - flock of DC Cormorants etc.

To Scott's list, I'll add - that I had a common yellowthroat singing by the fox marsh, a number of blue-winged warblers, including one doing a very strange version of the song, several gnatcatchers, an osprey over the beaver pond, a FOY wood thrush singing on the beaver tree trail, and a blue-headed vireo and ruffed grouse off the service road south of the skeeter bowl.  A couple photos here: https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S86705693

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 1:51 PM scottjstoner via groups.io <ScottJStoner=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
At Five Rivers EEC in Delmar, Albany county, highlights on a cold, damp and windy morning included a northbound flock of 22 Double-crested Cormorants (species #120 for the year there), a Broad-winged Hawk, and recently arrived Yellow Warblers, Gray Catbirds, and Eastern Kingbird. Brown Thrashers continue to sing actively as do Eastern Towhee, two species which have become increasingly common over the past couple of decades. A pair of American Kestrels continue over the large field on the east side of the property, and the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker continues to pound away on, and near, the electrical box on the pavilion at the research ponds! - Scott Stoner, Loudonville.