Zim Smith Trail--Coons Crossing to Round Lake, Apr 14, 2021

scottjstoner

Gregg Recer, Denise, and I birded and Atlased a portion of the Zim Smith Trail west of Coons Crossing Rd. in Saratoga County this morning, with a slightly delayed start due to traffic from the closure of part of the Northway!

Highlights included Virginia rails, blue- and green-winged teal, YB sapsucker, pine and palm warblers, and swamp sparrow.  Breeding activity is well underway with nest-building, courtship/display and even carrying of food noted.

Denise and I stopped at the nearby Round Lake Preserve afterwards, where we observed an Osprey diving for fish and a pair of water snakes.

Happy birding and Atlasing --Scott Stoner, Loudonville NY