field birds - quaker springs (sara co.) area

gregg_recer

following up on Ron H's report, Cathy G and I took a spin this afternoon through some of the farm roads south of SR 29 and east of saratoga lake down to US 4. We had one large flock of roughly 150 horned larks and 50 or so snow buntings along CR 67 in a very aged-looking manure spread. They lifted up and circled very high over the field for some time, eventually returning to the manure, but never came in close enough to make searching through for longspurs possible.

In the stillwater/schaghticoke area we also re-found the curious hybrid goose (canada x Anser sp?) associated with several hundred canadas at the river rd/stillwater bridge rd intersection just on the east side of the river. No sign of other unusual geese though.

--
gregg recer
malta NY