New Winter Feeder Visitor - Northern Flicker

Alan

I put out a new, longer suet feeder this year in hopes of attracting a Pileated, which are frequently seen around here but have never visited our feeders in the winter.

So far, no luck, but, as reported, I've had at least two Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers visiting the suet this winter, the first such winter visits in the 35 years we've lived here.

This morning I had the first winter feeder visit by a Northern Flicker, a male enjoying the suet. I know they are around and see reports and photos, and Feederwatch data says they are visiting 8 to 11% of NY feeders this winter, but it's another winter first here and I'm thrilled.

Looking forward to the first Pileated.

As a bonus a Red-tailed Hawk was perched on the phone pole across the street. Although they are regulars here, all year, I always enjoy seeing them.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville