Red Crossbills : eBird Report - Woods Hollow Nature Preserve, Jan 22, 2021

Ronald Harrower

´╗┐Woods Hollow Nature Preserve, Saratoga, New York, US
Jan 22, 2021 12:25 PM - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: I went on a walk at Woods Hollow NP to test out my Taktrax, recently bought after Marne mentioned them in her Battlefield ramble. I also had in my mind that Woods Hollow might be good for crossbills with all the pines laden with cones. Both things proved to be good within minutes of my arrival. The Yaktrax are great in that they allow me to get a good footing on ice and snow, an important thing for one with balance issues. The crossbills showed up by flying over the parking lot on the Northline entrance. 25 Red Crossbills flew in and worked their way around the parking lot, going at the cones with gusto. After sa couple of minutes, they took off over the park. I tried to find them, but with so much selection, they could be anywhere in the preserve. Well worth looking again.
13 species

Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 7
Black-capped Chickadee 21
Tufted Titmouse 6
Red-breasted Nuthatch 5
White-breasted Nuthatch 5
Brown Creeper 1
Red Crossbill 25 This has been an irruptive year all around us. This many and more are seen fairly often this Winter
American Goldfinch 1
Northern Cardinal 1 singing

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S79726540