Re: Pheasant

Alan

Alan, interesting, thanks! So I guess they were rather local populations.

The Northern Bobwhites here were the only ones I have ever seen.

Clear skies, Alan

On 1/16/2021 2:37 PM, Alan Mapes wrote:
Alan - I’m thinking back to the time that we created that checklist for Five Rivers. A neighboring landowner raised and released these two species for hunting and dog training purposes back then. The pheasants, I believe, had some broods of young in the wild - not so sure about the bobwhites.

Cheers, Alan Mapes

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 1:57 PM Alan <adfrench@...> wrote:
I should have done this earlier, but I just thought to look at my yard
list. It's actually a Bird Checklist for Five Rivers Environmental
Education Center published in 1983.

I note that both Ring-necked Pheasant and Northern Bobwhite are on the
checklist. The Pheasant is labeled as U (uncommon - A species which you
can occasionally expect to see during its normal period of occurrence)
and P (permanent resident - A species which remains in the Five Rivers
re all seasons of the year and breeds here). The Bobwhite is labeled as
RP (R, rare - A species you can only expect to see by chance).

Clearly this has changed over the past 37 years.

Both have been seen in my yard, Ring-necked Pheasant on 11/2/2005 and
Bobwhite on 9/20/2007. The two Bobwhites stayed around for a couple of
weeks and were frequently seen under my feeders.

While whether they are countable in various situations may be debatable,
I am happy to have a record of their appearance here.

I also note that Red-bellied Woodpecker is nowhere on the Five Rivers
Checklist, not on birds at Five Rivers, "Species seen less than five
times...," or "Species which occur in the area but have not yet been
seen at Five Rivers." I had to pencil it in when we first saw one in the
yard in October, 1993.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville