Re: [EXT] Re: [hmbirds] Pheasant

Ellen

With regard to CBCs and eBird – NOT the Breeding Bird Atlas – isn’t it presumptuous to assume that the observer will know that a Ring-Necked Pheasant isn’t “countable”?  I saw  my first pheasant in Nova Scotia many years ago, and honestly, I haven’t the slightest idea whether it was a “wild”/breeding or “introduced” bird.

Ellen

From: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of emberiza_tristrami
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 7:17 PM
To: zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw@...>
Cc: Scott Varney <scottvarney1968@...>; HMBirds <hmbirds@groups.io>; John Kent <k2ent76@...>; Will Raup <hoaryredpoll@...>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [hmbirds] Pheasant

In 2020, the first year of the third New York State Breeding Bird Atlas, a “remarkably scant population of volunteer observers” of over 1,500 individuals submitted over 100,000 checklists that covered 73 percent of the state’s geographical area. Again, this is the third such five-year atlas conducted in the state, following up on efforts carried out from 1980-1985 and 2000-2005 – hardly “too short a time frame”.

To suggest that breeding bird atlas efforts such as the one currently taking place in New York are “inconsistent” or “inconclusive” is incorrect and misleading.

Tristan Lowery

Albany

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw@...> wrote:

The breeding bird atlas is not “ completely based on observational data by a remarkably scant population of volunteer observers.”  There is a concrete set of requirements for the completion of each priority atlas block.  This includes exhaustive coverage of each habitat zone within a block.  It is unlikely that a great number of Ring-Necked Pheasants was simply missed in previous atlases, and it is similarly unlikely in the present atlas.  (Speaking of which, I’m one of the regional coordinators for the Third Atlas, and we do need people to sign up and cover priority blocks, especially in areas like Warren and Fulton County, which didn’t get a ton of coverage last year.  You can do so at eBird.org/atlasny 

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:01 PM Scott Varney <scottvarney1968@...> wrote:

Could you define "locally"?   I'd love to see the data that supports this conclusion. The Breeding Bird Atlas is completely based on observational data by a remarkably scant population of olunteer observers.  I am thankful for the contributions of these participating observers, but there are way too many uncovered areas over too short a time frame to support a conclusion such as this.  Scientific conclusions such as this have been proven historically inconsistent.  Perhaps it is more prudent to respect "that the possibility of breeding populations of Ring-necked Pheasant within our local region is within reason" or that "Our data on the breeding  populations of the Ring-necked Pheasant within our local region is inconclusive in determining the viability of a known breeding population."

Respectfully,

Scott Varney

Salem, NY

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021, 4:56 PM Will Raup <hoaryredpoll@...> wrote:

We actually do.  It is called the breeding bird atlas.

There are no sustainable wild populations of Pheasants locally anymore.

Will Raup

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------

Date: 1/15/21 4:23 PM (GMT-05:00)

To: John Kent <k2ent76@...>

Cc: HMBirds <hmbirds@groups.io>

I completely agree with Tom's sentiments on this topic. At best, we have no real info on "wild" breeding vs non-breeding populations.  They should be counted as similarly as Starlings.  

Scott Varney

Salem, NY

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021, 10:38 AM John Kent <k2ent76@...> wrote:

Bull's Birds of New York State, published in 1974 and updated in 1998, says that Ring-necked Pheasant bred widely in the Great Lakes Plain, and to a somewhat lesser extent in the Hudson Valley and on Long Island. They declined severely in the 1940s, the recovered and reached a peak in the late 1960s. Since then, habitat loss and predation caused another decline. Starting around 1980, the state released many each year for hunting. The impact of the released birds on "wild" populations is negligible, as fewer than 5% survive to the following spring.

My understanding is that since this was written, they have been extirpated as breeders in the Hudson Valley.

John Kent
Selkirk

On 1/15/2021 9:05 AM, emberiza_tristrami wrote:

The difference is starlings aren't regularly restocked in the wild for hunting. It's not likely that pheasant populations would survive on their own in most, if not all of New York State without this intervention.

Tristan Lowery

Albany

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 8:59 AM Tom Lake via groups.io <trlake7=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

The Ring-necked Pheasant seems to be a sticker for some as to counting in CBCs.

We count Starlings. Is there a difference?

With fish we count carp.

With trees we count the London plane.

With reptiles we count Red-eared Sliders.

Am I missing something?

Tom Lake

-----Original Message-----
To: hmbirds@groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jan 14, 2021 9:04 pm

Our rule of thumb with pheasants on the NJ World Series of Birding was to hold a hand out toward it.  If the bird came toward you, don't count it; if it walked away, check it off.  Not terribly scientific!

Andy Mason

On 1/14/2021 6:33 PM, zach schwartz-weinstein wrote:

Well, all Ring-necked pheasants in North America are descendents of artificially introduced birds, but the species is established and countable in New York.  For ABA purposes, this pheasant is probably not countable because it can reasonably be separated from wild, naturally occurring members of its species due to its location at a release site.  However, it can and should still be reported to eBird, where researchers can specifically search for introduced and exotic birds.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 6:25 PM Jeffrey Schoonmaker <j.schoonmaker@...> wrote:

So, are we not allowed to "count" them?  I was pretty excited to see one.  I'm embarrassed if everyone knows they are artificially introduced and therefore nothing to get excited about.

From: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io> on behalf of Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 6:14 PM
To: zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw@...>
Cc: Jeffrey Schoonmaker <j.schoonmaker@...>; HMBirds <hmbirds@groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [hmbirds] Pheasant

EXTERNAL EMAIL: This email originated from a source outside HVCC. Do not click any links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

Well look what I found, this link shows that the pheasants are released in the Washington County State Forest, which I presume to be that trail on Blackhouse Rd as our hotspot holds that same name, for youth hunts: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9349.html

I swear there used to be a release further up on Rt 41 in Kingsbury/Smith's Basin ages ago as well but that was word-of-mouth.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021, 5:51 PM zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw@...> wrote:

I believe the state releases them there for hunters.  (Or so a ranger told me once when he saw me walking along the new trail and mistook my scope for a firearm.)

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 5:49 PM Jeffrey Schoonmaker <j.schoonmaker@...> wrote:

Found a Ring-necked Pheasant walking across the front lawn of house #323 on Blackhouse Rd. at the F. E. Grslnds at 3:27 p.m. today.

As of 4:35 p.m., no Short-eared Owls were showing up for the 10 car loads of hopeful folks waiting in the Plum Rd. Theater parking area.

Jeff Schoonmaker

--

Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

--

Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

--
Andrew Mason
13 Boylston St.
Oneonta, NY  13820
(607) 652-2162
AndyMason@... 

--

Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

Join hmbirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.