From: emberiza_tristrami <tristanlowery@...>
To: Will Raup <Hoaryredpoll@...>
Cc: Scott Varney <scottvarney1968@...>; John Kent <k2ent76@...>; HMBirds <hmbirds@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Jan 15, 2021 5:02 pm
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [hmbirds] Pheasant

Except we do have “real info”. According to maps available through the New York State Breeding Bird Atlas III portal on eBird, there were only three confirmed instances of Ring-necked Pheasant breeding in New York State in all of 2020 and none of these records are from the Hudson-Mohawk region (there is one record each from Kings County, Queens County, and Livingston County – the last one being the only upstate confirmation). I’m not a population biologist, but those numbers don’t seem to indicate a substantial breeding population in New York State, especially for a species that isn’t particularly difficult to detect. And all the other proof of Ring-necked Pheasants breeding this area thus far mentioned in this thread is anecdotal evidence from three, four – even five decades – ago.

Just because we can’t prove that Ring-necked Pheasants aren’t breeding in this area doesn’t mean that they are. I could use the same exact fallacious logic to argue that mountain lions exist in this area.

Tristan Lowery
Albany

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 4:56 PM Will Raup <Hoaryredpoll@...> wrote:
We actually do.  It is called the breeding bird atlas.

There are no sustainable wild populations of Pheasants locally anymore.

Will Raup