From: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io> on behalf of Tom Lake via groups.io <trlake7@...>
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 12:57 PM
To: richardpguthrie@... <richardpguthrie@...>; k2ent76@... <k2ent76@...>
Cc: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [hmbirds] Pheasant

Rich, et al.

My reply to Tristan....(in part)

Dear Tristan,
Are we 100% sure no one puts Pheasant on their land for reasons other than hunting?

The survivability question is one we hear over and over. Is there real sustained scientific data to support it. To me it seems to be some conjecture as to their native range vs. our winters. Ring-necked Pheasant are commonly (as common as their un-commonality allows) seen in places quit a ways from hunting preserves.

Nature is chock full of wildlife successfully adapting to introduced climates. For example we have records of pirapitinga (red-bellied pacu) a type of pihrana in the Hudson River that would be at home in the Amazon. Not to be argumentative, but just asking the question that perhaps someone has already answered.

Tom Lake