White-winged Crossbills: eBird Report - Goldfoot Road and Simpson Ave, Round Lake, Jan 14, 2021

Ronald Harrower

´╗┐Goldfoot Road and Simpson Ave, Round Lake, Saratoga, New York, US
Jan 14, 2021 8:15 AM - 8:41 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: John H and I decided to follow upon Lindsey D's report of White-winged Crossbills on Goldfoot Rd. Initially quiet, a flock of 35 came in 5 minutes later and started munching on Pine cones. While trying to get good camera angles of the birds, more and more came in and were flying all along the tops of the conifers from All Saints Church to the houses on Goldfoot. Although the leaden sky made good photos almost impossible, the magic of seeing all the Crossbills going at the pine cones was heartening. The cones were even tumbling down on the road from their activity
13 species

Mourning Dove 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
Carolina Wren 1 calling loudly
European Starling 16
White-winged Crossbill 100 Probably more, but couldn't see on far side of the pine woods. This has been an irruption year and White-winged Crossbills, Red Crossbills, Pine Grosbeaks, Evening Grosbeaks and Common Redpolls are being seen in high numbers often in our region
American Goldfinch 1
Northern Cardinal 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S79253575