Re: longspurs - Northumberland

Scott Varney

Finally, a teachable moment!  Thank you for this post and the challenge...this is how we learn the subtle differences between commonly-grouped birds. 

Scott Varney 
Salem, NY

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021, 5:08 PM jhershey2 <hersheyj@...> wrote:
I arrived at the same spot (manure spread) on Stonebridge Rd. in Northumberland south of Calahan Rd. sometime after Gregg and Cathy.  I joined Bob and Nettie and later Eric M. in watching Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, and a few Lapland Longspurs.  The larks outnumbered the other two species.  I was particularly interested in the Longspurs because they are a little tricky to find amongst the other birds.  There are a few things I look for to i.d. them.  First of all, unlike the larks and buntings, they look like a run-of-the-mill sparrow.  Also, they have a dark triangular frame on the face with some reddish or orange color surrounding it.  And they have an orange patch on the folded wing which is bordered by white.  I posted several photos (for i.d. or educational purposes only) below most of which have longspurs, horned larks, and sometimes snow buntings in them.  Can you find the longspurs?

John H.

Join hmbirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.