Re: Albany County Christmas Bird Count - Results

Larry & Penny Alden

The snow cover, coupled with bare ground on roadsides has to account for the record sparrow and cardinal numbers. In one spot I had a group of ~50 white throated sparrow scratching in the leaves at the shoulder of the road!

Larry Alden

What caused so many species to be found in higher numbers? Much of this effect might be explained by the dividing up of sectors of the circle. We had more birding parties afield, even though each party was just one person, or in some cases two family members. It is hard to say how this effects final results, though. I’m sure that many birds in my sector were missed because I did not have the usual two excellent birders with me. Whatever the cause, we had a very good count. Thanks go out to all the dedicated participants!

Alan Mapes
Saratoga