Barred Owl

Richard Guthrie

A pleasant surprise yesterday while doing my sector of the S. Rensselaer CBC: I was walking out of a pine grove when I happened to notice a few white droppings in the fresh snow. I paused to look up into one of the pines and appeared to be a small lump on the side of the trunk was the tail of what turned out to be a Barred Owl looking right down on me from the darkness of the pine. It was there when I went by going in and not a bit fazed by my going by on the way out. If I didn't train the binoculars on that small innocuous lump, I would certainly have missed the owl. How many others have I walked by totally oblivious to their presence?

--
Richard Guthrie