Vischer Ferry Power Plant - Eurasian Wigeon, Peregrine Falcon, Gadwall

jhershey2

Today on the Schenectady CBC our team (Eric Molho, Pat Dollard, and myself) found some great birds at the Vischer Ferry Power Plant.  The best one was what I think is a Eurasian Wigeon. There also were 2 Gadwall, 2 Bald Eagles, and a Peregrine Falcon.  While scouting there yesterday I saw 3 Northern Pintails.  A scope is recommended to see the ducks and they may not be visible from the Niskayuna side of the river.  There were many ducks that were either too far away or obscured by the glare of the sun.  Also, the trail going east from the Power Plant has yet to be tramped on and the snow is pretty heavy.

While scouting yesterday I also spotted a Rusty Blackbird gritting on Riverview Rd. a little west of the main entrance at Vischer Ferry.  (But, didn't see one today.) One very bad digiscoped photo of the Wigeon below.

John Hershey