FW: [nysbirds-l] FinchFest 2020-21

scottjstoner

A bit extralimital but may be of interest! -Scott

-------- Original message --------
From: Matthew Young <grosbeak787@...>
Date: 11/23/20 10:23 (GMT-05:00)
To: NYSBIRDS-L@...
Subject: [nysbirds-l] FinchFest 2020-21

Hi all,

FinchFest 2020-2021 continues
I went to one of my local central NY patches yesterday, and ended the day with 120 Red Crossbills (all sounded like type 10; some recordings obtained), 11 White-winged Crossbills, 188 Common Redpolls, 12 American Goldfinches, a few Pine Siskins, 16 Purple Finches, 1 House Finch, 21 Evening Grosbeaks and a fairly close flyby immature/female type Pine Grosbeak -- Only dipped on Hoary Redpoll for the 10 eastern finches. A friend went to another local patch and also had a Pine Grosbeak and much of the same — So that makes for a few Pine Grosbeaks south of the Ontario lakeplain. I think there's a 70-75% a couple small flocks make it to northern PA.
Here's the main checklist from yesterday. https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S76563061

stay safe everyone!
Matt

P.S. Here's a couple articles the Finch Research Network has published on this year's finch superflight.

Archives: