Un Parulaed Success: eBird Report - Peebles Island SP, Sep 25, 2020

Ronald Harrower

´╗┐Peebles Island SP, Saratoga, New York, US
Sep 25, 2020 8:00 AM - 11:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.25 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: As John H hinted. at, I am finally following up on his report on the day itself. I had been following the HMBC site and other sources as people went to look for the pair of American Golden Plovers on Cohoes flats. As an almost exclusively Saratoga County guy, I was psyched to hear that they were hanging out one a spit on land off of Peeble's Island. I told John that I want to go see them, he told me that he already had. We, what so you need?! Pectoral Sandpiper. Well okay, let's meet there and search.
We headed off intrepidly the trail down the middle of the island. Quickly, we were reminded that there are other things to look for at this time of year as chip notes and flashes of yellow came from the mainly oak woods. The first of many Northern Parulas flitted around, soon joined by others of his species and genus mates. We started snapping photos right, left and center, often taking in 3 or more birds in one view. We had the aforementioned Parulas, Black-throated Green Warbler, Chestnut-sided, and Blackburnian.
But urgency to see a new species for the county propelled me on, like Christmas morning when you're 8. John stopped at a couple of places before the spot we were likely to see the birds. C'mon! When we got there, we had to reconstruct the view form the Albany side close to the middle of the flats, Found plenty of Killdeer, a Semipalmated Plover, a few Greater Yellowlegs, then finally the pair of AMGPs. So cool , just strolling around the spit of land. It was a humbling moment when a rare species to your area makes an appearance. I was lucky.
But birding marched on. We saw the back of a largish shore bird with a down curved bill. I thought it was a Dunlin, but checking with a regional Bird "checker" revealed that it was a Pectoral Sandpiper and why it was so. So, John got his bird. The Warblers continued up the East side of the Island with Black and White, Blackpoll, Blackburnian, BTGWs and tons of Parulas again, Common Yellowthroat, Pine Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Magonolia Warbler and Redstart. Similar outbreaks of Warblers were found in a few more places. Thus, not huge numbers of different. species, but. over 100 individual warblers, with. more in one spot than I have seen. since Cape May many years ago. We were. also treated to an Osptrey flying across the flats and a. great Egret standing. in the middle of rapids.
The weather was "perfect" in the mid 70s and no wind or clouds. Wee encountered many non birders who either asked us what we were looking for, or implored us to. find THE EAGLE, as if no other birds existed (which. probably isn't far from the truth as anyone who thinks back. to pre-birding days can attest. You. don't see most birds. until you are looking for them.
(Note: I mentioned that we saw over 100 individual. warblers. We did, but we only indentified the ones listed here. As. anyone who experiences fallouts, you are lucky to get 1 in 10. I wish we could magically id them all
56 species

Canada Goose X
Blue-winged Teal 7
Mallard X