Re: Baird’s Sandpiper Cohoes Flats

zach schwartz-weinstein

Reviewing my photographs, I don’t think I had a Baird’s (but did have the white-rumpled). In person that Buffy semipalm seemed larger than the other semipalmated sandpipers, and even in my photos its wings look like they protrude past the tail, but it is clearly nevertheless a Semipalmated and not a Baird’s.  the light at 6:00 AM wasn’t great, and I didn’t get much of a chance to study the bird before all the peeps flushed over to Van Schaick Island.  At any rate it was nice to see some actual numbers and diversity of Calidrids.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 12:12 PM gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:
Scott Stoner and I were at cohoes flats after Zach, roughly 9 - 10:30 this morning. We had one peep that was on the buffy side and appeared somewhat long-winged, but I was not sure it wasn't just a semi-palm with a more buffy tone to the plumage than average. We did have one white-rumped sandpiper mixed in with the leasts and semis.

I checked out champlain lock 2 after cohoes, but nothing different there.
--
gregg recer
malta NY