OT: Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE

Alan

OT, but perhaps of interest to folks with an interest in the natural world and equipped with binoculars and spotting scopes. The head of Comet NEOWISE was easily visible by eye when it was in the predawn sky and some folks reported seeing some of the tail. It was quite pretty through binoculars.

This chart shows where it will be one hour after sunset. From Schenectady sunset is at 8:32 PM on the 15th and 8:28 on the 20th. As it gets later it will move lower, but the sky will get darker. My guess is that it might be best seen about 90 minutes after sunset, but would require a better view to the NW and nice clear skies near the horizon. Now if we only get some clear nights.

Although tonight is not shown, it will just be a bit below the position on the 14th and closer to the horizon. Clear skies, however, look unlikely, although there are some breaks.

Clear skies, Alan