From: Alan <adfrench@...>
To: hmbirds@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 17, 2020 9:09 am
Subject: [hmbirds] Night Bird Call Mystery

Good Morning,

My wife and I have been out with a telescope for the past two nights.
Both nights we've heard a bird calling (it moves around, so I'm pretty
sure it's a bird). I'm not sure I can describe it well enough for an ID,
but I could check  out suggestions by listening to them at the Cornell
web site. After several hours of it over two nights, I think I'd
recognize it.

It was a short call, sort of a gentle, slightly hoarse screech.
Something like a "Pfweet." It was given once, with tens of seconds
before the next. Occasionally it might be repeated after perhaps just 10
seconds. It was rather uniform with little inflection. It usually
sounded a little hoarse or raspy, but sometimes it seemed a bit
"cleaner." There were also were variations that were softer. But the
word "monotonous" also came to mind fairly early on. I don't recall
hearing this call before, but might not have paid a lot of attention if
it didn't go on for so long.

The only other bird we heard was a distant Barred Owl.

Thanks for your help!

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville
(Semi-rural western part, with lots of woods and fields)