Re: Bittern?

zach schwartz-weinstein

It is not uncommon to see bitterns in trees during migration, though it is too late for either bittern to be migrating at the moment.  It's hard to rule out Green Heron from this photo.  And Black-Crowned is also a possibility, though they are somewhat uncommon in the area.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 5:17 PM Dan Leonard <dannyboy67leonard@...> wrote:
Is it too early for an immature Black-Crowned Night Heron (would be more likely in a tree)?

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 5:07 PM bookconservator via groups.io <bookconservator=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I heard a new bird sound in the yard, sort of a squonk. Then saw what looked to be a bittern in a tree. Held its head with beak up and neck extended and streaky brown, just like those I gave seen at Montezuma when I lived out there. Larger than a crow. A bit bigger than the green herons we have had in the yard by the pond. See image upper center.

Would you find a bittern in a tree and if not, any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks for the input.

Donia
Ballston Spa