Chuck-wills-widow - Greene County

Richard Guthrie

We have two credible reports of CHUCK-WILLS-WIDOW from the Town of Athens and 5 miles away in the Town of Coxsackie, The Greene County.

The first was heard briefly last Tuesday evening and not since. The other was being heard that evening as well as each evening up to Friday (maybe Sunday morning at 4:30 AM ).

The homeowner got a clear recording of the second bird during one of those evenings.

The birds were heard (and seen) from the roadway on Mountain View Road, off County Rt. 61, which is just north of State Highway 81 in the Town of Coxsackie, west of Rt. 9-W and the NYS Thruway.

There are very few houses along this dead-end road and the few homeowners are ok with birders coming to try for the bird. The bird seemed to start the evening out down by the cul-de-sac, then working west to the area of the county road. The apparent 4:30 AM report was from a nearby home along Rt 61.

[I am told that there is an intimidating looking, but somewhat friendly, German Shepherd in one of the houses, that might come out to check on people. He is said to not like other dogs. ]

Rich Guthrie
New Baltimore
The Greene County
New York