Re: Bittern?

Dan Leonard

Is it too early for an immature Black-Crowned Night Heron (would be more likely in a tree)?

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 5:07 PM bookconservator via groups.io <bookconservator=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I heard a new bird sound in the yard, sort of a squonk. Then saw what looked to be a bittern in a tree. Held its head with beak up and neck extended and streaky brown, just like those I gave seen at Montezuma when I lived out there. Larger than a crow. A bit bigger than the green herons we have had in the yard by the pond. See image upper center.

Would you find a bittern in a tree and if not, any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks for the input.

Donia
Ballston Spa