Re: PROTHONOTARY WARBLER - Surrender March Trail

zach schwartz-weinstein

The prothonotary is here now and singing very intermittently. If you’re atlasing remember that there is a block boundary between the north trailhead and the PROW location.

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 5:56 AM zach schwartz-weinstein via groups.io <zachsw=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
The red house with a pool, assuming I am at the right one, is 2/3 of a mile south of the north entrance.

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 5:54 PM Scott Varney <scottvarney1968@...> wrote:
I followed up on Lindsay's find of a Prothonotary Warbler, so I headed immediately to the Surrender March Trail with my bins, my camera, my scope, and my audio recorder. It was difficult to record their songs over Route 4 rush hour traffic.
However, in recording the songs, I picked out a total of 3 Prothonotary Warblers and got some ok photos of one that flew close...wow, that bill is super long!  One of the prettiest of Warblers!  Thanks Lindsay for a new lifebird!

I'll post my photos and perhaps some cleaned up audio recordings after I get home and upload to my computer.

Lindsay's site location directions were spot on and extend another 1/4 mile to the north along the trail.

Happy Day!

Scott Varney
Salem NY

On Sat, May 30, 2020, 1:47 PM Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval@...> wrote:
About an hour ago I SAW a Prothonotary Warbler at the Surrender March Trail which is just south of Schuylerville. This bird has actually been here since 5/23 when I first heard the loud, ringing, clear "SWEET SWEET SWEET SWEET SWEET." A Titmouse on that day actually managed to sing something similar to me on that first day. Today I was tortured enough and fell down the steep hill to get a close view and there he was making territorial rounds around the swamp!

If anyone goes I think the new gravel south entrance may be shorter. The north entrance is across from Schuyler St. You have to go about a mile in. There is a wooded swamp across from a house on the canal side which is one story, brick red, with a pool. I think the bird May be visible from the trail, keep an eye on horizontal branches and tops of snags, it's a weird angle.

I'll try to bang out a checklist on eBird too. (No internet access other than dying old phone.)