Least Bittern, etc. - Vischer Ferry

jhershey2

This morning I walked the usual 3-mile western loop at Vischer Ferry plus a short stretch east on the towpath.  Long overdue for me was the first Least Bittern of the year, calling frequently from the edge of the west pond.  I also heard a Virginia Rail calling in the pond east of the Water Authority road entrance.  The 3 common warblers that breed at the preserve were well-represented - Yellow, Common Yellowthroat, and American Redstart - but the other warblers that pass through quickly were very scarce.  I detected only a Canada Warbler, Chestnut-sided, and 1 Blackburnian.  Even the Northern Waterthrushes were quiet this morning and I found none.   A few other species present include: Eastern Wood-Pewee, Willow Flycatcher, Least Flycatcher, Great Crested Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Yellow-throated Vireo, Marsh Wren, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Wood Thrush, Veery, Cedar Waxwing, and Scarlet Tanager.

John H.