I think it’s likely that it will still be active this evening and tomorrow morning. I just went out around my yard at a time of day when birding is usually slow, and I found 42 species, including 10 species of warblers. There were three male Cape May Warblers in one spruce tree in my yard. There will be a brisk west-northwesterly wind all night tonight, not favorable for the birds to move on, so I’m guessing tomorrow morning might still be good. I would go this evening if possible, though.

John Kent
Selkirk

On May 11, 2020, at 3:27 PM, Christopher J. McCarthy via groups.io <mccdelmar@...> wrote:

Would they be likely to have stayed around today to see on an evening walk? Or tomorrow a.m.?

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos etc.!

-------- Original message --------
From: "trwdsd via groups.io" <trwdsd@...>
Date: 5/11/20 12:57 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: [hmbirds] Warblers at Five Rivers 5/11

After a slow, chilly start to the day at Five Rivers EEC in Delmar, the birding heated up suddenly around 7:30 am. Five miles and four hours yielded 70 species, plus a pair of domestic ducks at the beaver Pond. The busiest area was the northern leg of the service road, particularly the northeast corner where it connects to the North Loop trail. I became engulfed in a fairly large mixed flock of warblers there and spent 45 minutes identifying, photographing and sound-recording them. It was exhilarating and exhausting, the good kind of tired. Twenty species of warblers were present. The areas around the Skeeter Bowl, the west end of the Heron Pond, and the Beaver Pond all produced good birds. An eBird checklist with photos is linked below. Enjoy birding!

https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S68864281

Tom Williams
Colonie