Re: bird id

ConserveBirds

I’ve had very good luck with the ABC Bird Tape. https://abcbirds.org/abc-bird-tape/  I installed it on 9 large windows on my back porch in a striped pattern in about an hour.  It has been in place for over 5 years now with no deterioration and all but eliminated the many window strikes I used to get.  I do not find it distracting when looking through the windows at birds.

Mona Bearor

South Glens Falls

From: hmbirds@groups.io [mailto:hmbirds@groups.io] On Behalf Of adir46er
Sent: Saturday, May 9, 2020 9:26 AM
To: Julie Hart <julieannhart@...>
Cc: peazel@...; hmbirds@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] bird id

On our home, we use a combination of window treatments to deter bird collisions. Last year we created our own version of a “Zen” curtain (similar to Julie’s) for our large living room window. We use “Warning Web” decals on all other windows. These do not rely on UV technology as some decals do and therefore do not require replacement every 4+ months.

The Zen curtain has been very effective in preventing most collisions. Interestingly, the American Goldfinch males like to fly to the paracord and hang on and look in the window at us! I would not personally recommend the Zen style on bedroom windows unless you don’t mind hearing the tapping noise of the cords against the window glass when the wind blows (which it does a lot at our home :-).

Rita Reed

East Hoosick, NY - Rensselaer County

On May 9, 2020, at 8:22 AM, Julie Hart <julieannhart@...> wrote:

I personally haven’t had luck with decals. We switched to “Zen curtains” late last summer (see here for an example) and haven’t had any window hits since. We made them from paracord (cheap to buy a roll on Amazon) and then hung them from above the windows with small 3M hooks placed 3-4 inches apart. It also allows you to still see through the window. Just put a few knots in the bottom so they hang straight. They’ll still swing in the wind but the birds got used to them really quickly (within less than an hour). 

-Julie

On May 8, 2020, at 20:58, Peg Hasselwander via groups.io <peazel@...> wrote:

Thank you so much for answering right away.  And I ordered some decals.  :-) 

-----Original Message-----
To: peazel@...
Cc: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, May 8, 2020 8:43 pm
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] bird id

It’s an ovenbird, a species of warbler.  You can get decals for windows that help prevent bird collisions like this.

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 8:42 PM Peg Hasselwander via groups.io <peazel=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

photo from Glenville, NY.  Bird hit window.  What kind of bird is it?  Can't find it in any of my bird-books.  Help!  

-- 

Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

Join hmbirds@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.