Re: Banded Canada Goose- Five Rivers

adir46er

Tom,

What a great story - she obviously likes it at Five Rivers!

Robert and I have come across several banded Canada Geese this year. In each case the bird had an orange plastic neck band with a code consisting of 4 white-colored letters/numbers. Like you, I submitted the information to USGS and received certificates for each bird.

Although we didn’t consistently take photos of the geese, I would recommend doing so for reference purposes in case a person decides to submit the bird band codes.

Rita Reed
East Hoosick, NY

On Apr 26, 2020, at 1:32 PM, trwdsd via groups.io <trwdsd@...> wrote:

For as long as I have been birding at Five Rivers, there has been a leg-banded Canada Goose present. It spends its time during the breeding season roaming between Wood Duck Marsh, Fox Marsh and Goose Pond. I've never been able to read the band through binoculars, so during this past week I walked along with, around, behind and in front of the bird to get enough images to be able to capture the bard number. It is paired up with another goose again this season, but clearly they are not currently in a nesting situation. I submitted my findings to the Bird Banding Lab at USGS and they sent back the following reply:

INFORMATION FROM OUR FILES:
Species: Canada Goose
Date banded: 06/25/2002
Banding Location: FEURA BUSH, NEW YORK, USA
Age: HATCHED IN 2001 OR EARLIER
Sex: FEMALE
This female is therefore at least 18+ years old. Tip your hat next time you encounter her.

Photos of the band are attached.

Tom Williams
Colonie <004.JPG><007 _2_.jpg><021.JPG>