rt loon & rn grebe - round lake

gregg_recer

cathy graichen and I did some water birding around central saratoga county today. In addition to the caspian tern at the saratoga lake marine park (reported there also by naomi 2 days ago -- presumed same bird?), highlights were at round lake where we had a basic-plumage red-throated loon and an impressive group of 9 alternate-plumage red-necked grebes. Also present at RL, an osprey pair seeming to stake claim to a nest there. We were able to dig out a few wilson's snipe at wright's loop, including hearing a calling bird doing what sibley calls the grinding-ticks call.

--
gregg recer
malta NY