Re: Atlas reminder

gregg_recer

Thanks Zach, good reminder. The atlas online handbook provides some tools to use in the field for knowing where you are relative to the block boundaries, even if you don't have phone signal (only need GPS) using a free app (Avenza Maps).https://ebird.org/atlasny/about/atlas-blocks -- scroll down to Block Maps for the Field

I've been trying it with free topo quads (blocks are defined from the quads - 1 quad = 6 blocks), and the free block boundary layer kmz file. It is helpful to have the real-time GPS position especially when trails run very close and nearly parallel to block boundaries, so the block you're in is only to one side of the trail. A couple of examples I've come across already are Bog Meadow Brook trail in Saratoga, and the 100 Acre Woods loop trail in Malta.

One tip about Avenza - the free version only allows 3 maps uploaded at a time; the block boundary file is added as a separate layer, not a map file per se, so it is there no matter what maps you have uploaded.

--
gregg recer
malta NY