Saratoga National Historical Park Birding

Scott Varney

I hiked the Wilkinson Trail (4 mile trail) today and found 20 different species. Highlights included Eastern Towhee, American Kestrel, lots of Field Sparrows, 2 Barred Owls, and 2 Pine Warblers. I stopped at Wright's Loop along Route 4 in Stillwater and found 50+ Green-winged Teal, 2 drake Northern Shovelers, 2 Black Ducks, a few Mallards, and 1 Bald Eagle. The 7 Wilson's Snipe from the day before were absent, likely as a result of the flooding from Monday rains. What a great hike at SNHP!  I hiked the entire trail and had no troubles social distancing...I had the whole trail to myself!  Wear waterproof boots, as the entire trail is very sloggy!

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem, NY