American Woodcock at Five Rivers

Julie Hart

Last night (3/5) Daniel and I went for an evening walk at Five Rivers and saw our first of the year American Woodcock displaying. We were with the winter raptor counters (Alan Mapes and others) at the Grassland Overlook when we heard the peenting just after sunset. It peented for a while and then started doing it's elaborate courtship display. We all got great looks.

Earlier on our walk we also had Barred Owl caterwauling (courtship display).

Here is our complete checklist with breeding codes entered for the Breeding Bird Atlas:

For more info on the atlas, see ebird.org/atlasny

Happy atlasing,
Julie