Lesser Black-backed Gull, Cohoes

John Kent

I did the Green Island - Cohoes - Crescent circuit around noon today. I got to Crescent Park a while after Gregg’s post on the Iceland Gull, but didn’t find any gulls there. My only notable sighting was a Lesser Black-backed Gull, seen above Cohoes Falls while scoping from School Street. I wasn’t able to make out leg color, but based on mantle color, a gray-streaked head and neck, and size comparison to Herring Gulls, I felt confident of the ID. I also saw four Mute Swans together on the north side of the Mohawk just west of Crescent Power Plant.

This morning at Henry Hudson Park in Selkirk, I saw three Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, a Winter Wren, and a Common Grackle. A Peregrine Falcon carrying prey landed in a tree and started eating, then flew off when it saw me looking at it.

John Kent
Selkirk