Grasslands wanderings

Naomi Lloyd

After striking out last week, the Thursday group had somewhat better luck this time. We started on the Northumberland side checking manure spreads around King Farm where we found a single flyover Snow Bunting and a few Horned Larks. More small flocks showed up as well as American Tree Sparrows. Raptors were limited to a Cooper's Hawk and almost a dozen Redtails.

After noon most of the group went their way and I decided to try the Washington County side. Not many waterfowl and the river is starting to freeze up. In the fields I found more buntings and parks, and three Rough-legged Hawks. I wandered until 4pm when I stopped at Fitzpatrick Rd. Despite watching until 5:25, no Short-ears or Harriers appeared. I did find a Mockingbird which I tried hard to turn into a shrike (didn't work) and a pair of Great Horned Owls hooting sweet nothings to each other.

Naomi Lloyd